Reporting Numerical Results – A Book that Works
If you work with statistics, one of the great challenges that you may have faced is how to write up results in a coherent and efficient manner.
Here is a great source for you! This book is a short, comprehensive, and invaluable resource: From Numbers to Words by Susan E. Morgan, Tom Reichert, and Tyler R. Harrison (Allyn & Bacon, 2002).
While I can assure you we will never present a book like this at the First Friday Book Synopsis, because it would induce sleep – for anyone who worries over how to present findings from a statistical test in a written report, this is a crown jewel.
The book covers practically every possible statistical test. For each, you will learn what to report, the key syntax, and the suggested format. The book includes excerpts from articles that have used the statistic.
And, it does all this in 125 pages!
As part of my responsibilities as an adjunct professor in the College of Business at the University of Dallas, I teach MBA students a course in Research Methods. How to write up statistical results is the most frustrating and time-consuming endevaor they face. I have now required this book for the past two terms, and have seen great results.
I commend it to you – if you are a numbers-person.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 - Posted by kjkrayer | Karl's blog entries | Allyn & Bacon, first friday book synopsis, From Numbers to Words, MBA, numerical results, research methods, statistics, Susan E. Morgan, Tom Reichert, Tyler R. Harrison, University of Dallas
No comments yet.
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our May Charity Sponsor
Running4CleanWater – May 9, 2015
The goal of R4CW is to provide children, youth and adults with clean and safe drinking water for the rural regions of Sierra Leone, Africa. Proceeds from this event will go toward building a well. Click here for more information & to register.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasMay 1st, 20153 days to go.
- RT @NPRMichel: Urban riots: This 1967 MLK speech is particularly insightful this week. Share your thoughts? apa.org/monitor/featur… http://t… 2 hours ago
- RT @nytimes: New study links weather extremes to global warming nyti.ms/1GqjOP7 http://t.co/f9X6SDT35T 5 hours ago
- It's Selection Time for the Next First Friday Book Synopsis (June 5) - Seldom an Easy Choice: wp.me/pmm68-9IQ 5 hours ago
- I won't be at the SMU Men's Basketball games next season. A new book influenced my decision. Read my post here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/rea… 3 weeks ago
- Here's a blog post about a new book that contrasts with LEAN IN - see what you think about society without men: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/not… 1 month ago
- We sure are insecure as Americans about our future. Read my blog post about a best-seller by clicking here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/all… 1 month ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 1 month ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 1 month ago
- Rodd Wagner: Part 1 of an interview by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/rodd-wagner-pa… 5 hours ago
- The Road to Character: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/the-road-to-ch… 5 hours ago
- Sue Desmond-Hellmann (chief executive of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) in “The Corner Office” bobmorris.biz/sue-desmond-he… 5 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 920,625 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- It’s Selection Time for the Next First Friday Book Synopsis (June 5) – Seldom an Easy Choice
- Provide Actionable Feedback without Micromanaging – The Balance Challenge for Good Managers (Insight from Laszlo Bock’s Work Rules!)
- Dan E. King: Part 2 of an interview by Bob Morris
- Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull – Key Thoughts, and My Five Lessons and Takeaways
- Isaacson’s Short List of Three: Edison, Ford, & Jobs – Ed Catmull Helps us Understand Why Steve Jobs Deserves to Be on that List
- Dorie Clark on How to Stand Out: An interview by Bob Morris