Not Just Better, but Different – A Quote for the Day from Michael Porter on Strategy
Operational effectiveness (OE) means performing similar activities better than rivals perform them. Operational effectiveness includes but is not limited to efficiency. It refers to any number of practices that allow a company to better utilize its inputs by, for example, reducing defects in products or developing better products faster. In contrast, strategic positioning means performing different activities from rivals’ or performing similar activities in different ways.Competitive strategy is about being different. It means deliberately choosing a different set of activities to deliver a unique mix of value.
…the essence of strategy is in the activities—choosing to perform activities differently or to perform different activities than rivals. Otherwise, a strategy is nothing more than a marketing slogan that will not withstand competition.Michael Porter, from an essay included in the book On Competition
No comments yet.
Did you see us in the Dallas Morning News Business Section?
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasAugust 7th, 20157 days to go.
- ...the need to scrutinize public figures should not be confused with the right to treat them unfairly. - Vox vox.com/2015/7/31/9078… 1 hour ago
- RT @MrsKatSulli: How to Succeed in Business: 1) Get Started 2) Keep Going 2 hours ago
- When You're Stuck, You Need An IDEA - Insight from Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit: wp.me/pmm68-a2u 2 hours ago
- "Where to Start to Reduce Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse" on @LinkedIn linkedin.com/pulse/where-st… 4 days ago
- I am in Houston for the first Wardens' Retreat for 2015. Attendance is a bit down, but spirit and participation are both quite high. 2 months ago
- Today's Dallas Morning News has a feature article about the First Friday Book Synopsis. Link; dallasnews.com/business/colum… http://t.co/AbfBiILX5T 2 months ago
- Again - it is absurd that Colby Lewis did not get to go 9 innings tonight with an 11-1 Texas lead and fewer than 90 pitches in 8 innings! 2 months ago
- The Rangers' Rodriguez should have gone out for the 9th for a complete game. The lead was 7-1, and his pitch count was not high. Absurd. 2 months ago
- New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace bobmorris.biz/new-rules-of-t… 6 hours ago
- Recruiting From a Global Talent Pool bobmorris.biz/recruiting-fro… 6 hours ago
- David Politis (chief executive of BetterCloud) in “The Corner Office” bobmorris.biz/david-politis-… 6 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 993,010 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- When You’re Stuck, You Need An IDEA – Insight from Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit
- “There is no Permanent Fix” – A Tough Reality to Face, and Lesson to Learn, from General Stanley McChrystal (from Team of Teams)
- Innovation Superstars: Shock Therapy for the Status Quo – (announcing our new seminar)
- Your Company Needs Some Business-Book Book Clubs – Download Our White Paper
- The Equalizer (Denzel Washington) Reading Through the “Top 100 Books You Should Read Before You Die”
- Managing Yourself is Only Half the Battle – Supervising Yourself is Just as Important