Not Just Better, but Different – A Quote for the Day from Michael Porter on Strategy
Operational effectiveness (OE) means performing similar activities better than rivals perform them. Operational effectiveness includes but is not limited to efficiency. It refers to any number of practices that allow a company to better utilize its inputs by, for example, reducing defects in products or developing better products faster. In contrast, strategic positioning means performing different activities from rivals’ or performing similar activities in different ways.Competitive strategy is about being different. It means deliberately choosing a different set of activities to deliver a unique mix of value.
…the essence of strategy is in the activities—choosing to perform activities differently or to perform different activities than rivals. Otherwise, a strategy is nothing more than a marketing slogan that will not withstand competition.Michael Porter, from an essay included in the book On Competition
No comments yet.
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our May Charity Sponsor
Running4CleanWater – May 9, 2015
The goal of R4CW is to provide children, youth and adults with clean and safe drinking water for the rural regions of Sierra Leone, Africa. Proceeds from this event will go toward building a well.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasMay 1st, 20157 days to go.
- 60 'Then and Now' Photos That Show Dramatic Changes on Earth a.msn.com/04/en-us/AAbDC… 5 minutes ago
- Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull - Key Thoughts, and My Five Lessons and Takeaways: wp.me/pmm68-9IA 4 hours ago
- #WhyINeed48HoursInADay because I've only barely started the newest season of House of Cards 10 hours ago
- I won't be at the SMU Men's Basketball games next season. A new book influenced my decision. Read my post here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/rea… 3 weeks ago
- Here's a blog post about a new book that contrasts with LEAN IN - see what you think about society without men: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/not… 3 weeks ago
- We sure are insecure as Americans about our future. Read my blog post about a best-seller by clicking here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/all… 3 weeks ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 4 weeks ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 4 weeks ago
- Blogging on Business bobmorris.biz 17 hours ago
- Stand Out: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/stand-out-a-bo… 17 hours ago
- Alexa von Tobel (chief executive of LearnVest) in “The Corner Office” bobmorris.biz/alexa-von-tobe… 17 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 918,978 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull – Key Thoughts, and My Five Lessons and Takeaways
- Isaacson’s Short List of Three: Edison, Ford, & Jobs – Ed Catmull Helps us Understand Why Steve Jobs Deserves to Be on that List
- Dorie Clark on How to Stand Out: An interview by Bob Morris
- TED Talks on 60 Minutes – Remember, these are “Talks” (Should we call them TED Speeches?)
- Here is the New York Times April, 2015 Business Books Best Sellers List – Becoming Steve Jobs at #2
- More About the 96 Minute Rule – Insight from Chris Crouch, and others – (with update)