Prepare, Practice, and then you’ll be ready.
“We throw to the bases every day,” Cruz said. “We take flyballs every day, make sure we know the ballpark, we know any situation we can be involved in during the game. When you prepare, everything comes more easy.” (Rangers Beat Tigers 7-3 In Game 4: Nelson Cruz Leads Texas To 3-1 Lead In ALCS)
“When you prepare, everything comes more easy.” The more prepared you are, the more likely you are to succeed. The more you practice – and practice every conceivable scenario — the more you put and keep your head in the game, the more prepared you are.
This was seen so very clearly in the Rangers win over the Tigers last night. Nelson Cruz hit another 11th inning home run, but it was his throw from right field that kept the Rangers in the game, and sent it into extra innings.
With Detroit runners at the corners in the eighth and the score 3-all, Cruz caught Delmon Young’s flyball to right field and made a strong peg to Napoli to nail Miguel Cabrera. The Detroit slugger bowled over Napoli, but the catcher held on to the ball and Cabrera never touched the plate.
For Rangers fans (that includes me) it was a terrific game. For all of us, it is a reminder of the most basic of business and life success lessons: prepare and practice, and you will be ready for the challenge.
Here’s the video of his walk-off Grand Slam to win game two against Detroit:
Mike Napoli can also add to our appreciation for solid preparation.
Napoli said it comes from preparation and taking time to learn his pitcher’s tendencies, something that has improved with each outing. (Mike Napoli does it all in Game 4).
Did you see us in the Dallas Morning News Business Section?
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasAugust 7th, 201511 days to go.
- RT @wef: 10 skills that are hard to learn but pay off forever wef.ch/1gZdjgR #work http://t.co/gLdjlLa4Cw 15 minutes ago
- Conditioning + Fundamentals + Unity - Coach John Wooden's Formula for Success: wp.me/pmm68-6dB 13 hours ago
- I have presented synopses of two of these seven, & read 2 others-7 Bestsellers that Will Improve your Productivity markotheapp.blogspot.com/2015/07/7-best… 13 hours ago
- "Where to Start to Reduce Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse" on @LinkedIn linkedin.com/pulse/where-st… 15 hours ago
- I am in Houston for the first Wardens' Retreat for 2015. Attendance is a bit down, but spirit and participation are both quite high. 2 months ago
- Today's Dallas Morning News has a feature article about the First Friday Book Synopsis. Link; dallasnews.com/business/colum… http://t.co/AbfBiILX5T 2 months ago
- Again - it is absurd that Colby Lewis did not get to go 9 innings tonight with an 11-1 Texas lead and fewer than 90 pitches in 8 innings! 2 months ago
- The Rangers' Rodriguez should have gone out for the 9th for a complete game. The lead was 7-1, and his pitch count was not high. Absurd. 2 months ago
- The 40 Greatest Innovations of All Time bobmorris.biz/the-40-greates… 16 hours ago
- Buying Into Culture bobmorris.biz/buying-into-cu… 16 hours ago
- Bernard Roth: An interview by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/bernard-roth-a… 1 day ago
Recent visitor count
- 991,239 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- Managing Yourself is Only Half the Battle – Supervising Yourself is Just as Important
- Where to Start to Reduce Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse Against Women
- Complacency; Loss of Focus – Lessons from Elon Musk and a SpaceX Catastrophe, and a Prison Escape in New York State
- Rising Inequality; Rising Levels of Poverty (still!) – Let’s At Least Have Some Meaningful Conversations About This
- Time Spent Getting Ready for the Next Challenge is Successful Work – a Lesson from President Obama, with a slight quibble with Jim Collins
- Book Learning + Practical Learning – It Takes a Balance (The SMU Cox School of Business is Onto Something Here)