Prepare, Practice, and then you’ll be ready.
“We throw to the bases every day,” Cruz said. “We take flyballs every day, make sure we know the ballpark, we know any situation we can be involved in during the game. When you prepare, everything comes more easy.” (Rangers Beat Tigers 7-3 In Game 4: Nelson Cruz Leads Texas To 3-1 Lead In ALCS)
“When you prepare, everything comes more easy.” The more prepared you are, the more likely you are to succeed. The more you practice – and practice every conceivable scenario — the more you put and keep your head in the game, the more prepared you are.
This was seen so very clearly in the Rangers win over the Tigers last night. Nelson Cruz hit another 11th inning home run, but it was his throw from right field that kept the Rangers in the game, and sent it into extra innings.
With Detroit runners at the corners in the eighth and the score 3-all, Cruz caught Delmon Young’s flyball to right field and made a strong peg to Napoli to nail Miguel Cabrera. The Detroit slugger bowled over Napoli, but the catcher held on to the ball and Cabrera never touched the plate.
For Rangers fans (that includes me) it was a terrific game. For all of us, it is a reminder of the most basic of business and life success lessons: prepare and practice, and you will be ready for the challenge.
Here’s the video of his walk-off Grand Slam to win game two against Detroit:
Mike Napoli can also add to our appreciation for solid preparation.
Napoli said it comes from preparation and taking time to learn his pitcher’s tendencies, something that has improved with each outing. (Mike Napoli does it all in Game 4).
Did you see us in the Dallas Morning News Business Section?
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasJuly 10th, 20159 days to go.
First Friday Book Synopsis (on the SECOND Friday in July) - July 10, 2015Friday, July 10, 2015 ⋅ FFBS only (online sales): $29.00 ⋅ FFBS only (Harvard Business School Club of Dallas): $29.00
- Why Obama Gave a Christian Speech Without Mentioning Jesus - The Atlantic theatlantic.com/politics/archi… 13 minutes ago
- Learning Takes Time - Time We Seem Not to Have, or Don't Want to Take...: wp.me/pmm68-9Ol 52 minutes ago
- We May be Reaching a Tipping Point in our Understanding - Insight from Derek Thompson's "A World Without Work": wp.me/pmm68-9On 53 minutes ago
- I am in Houston for the first Wardens' Retreat for 2015. Attendance is a bit down, but spirit and participation are both quite high. 1 month ago
- Today's Dallas Morning News has a feature article about the First Friday Book Synopsis. Link; dallasnews.com/business/colum… http://t.co/AbfBiILX5T 1 month ago
- Again - it is absurd that Colby Lewis did not get to go 9 innings tonight with an 11-1 Texas lead and fewer than 90 pitches in 8 innings! 1 month ago
- The Rangers' Rodriguez should have gone out for the 9th for a complete game. The lead was 7-1, and his pitch count was not high. Absurd. 1 month ago
- Don't forget Running for Clean Water on May 9. For information or to register, go to: r4cw.webconnex.com/register http://t.co/dupwDGonDi 2 months ago
- The Mouth Is Mightier Than the Pen bobmorris.biz/the-mouth-is-m… 17 hours ago
- Go forth in the real world, and leave the tablet behind bobmorris.biz/go-forth-in-th… 17 hours ago
- Tae Hea Nahm (managing director of the venture capital firm Storm Ventures) in “The Corner Office” bobmorris.biz/tae-hea-nahm-m… 17 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 968,684 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- Thoughts Prompted by the Focus on Self-Interest, and the Confederate Flag
- Linda J. Popky on “Marketing Above the Noise”: Part 2 of an interview by Bob Morris
- If You take “No” for an Answer too Easily, You May Need to Make a Change – Insight from Elon Musk
- Ego vs. EQ, insight from Jen Shirkani – (or, maybe, it is a real fight with your JQ – your “Jerk Quotient”)
- A conversation with Grant McCracken on how to build “a living, breathing culture”
- Big Data May Already Be Disrupting Your Favorite Sport