I’ve read three reviews of Rachel Maddow’s new book, Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power, and have the sample pages loaded into my iPad. It is on my “I want to read this book list,” which is long and ever-growing… But, sadly, I doubt that this book fits into my “I will present this somewhere” list, so it may be a while.
On The Daily Beast, Rachel Maddow’s ‘Drift’ Probes America’s Uneasy Relationship With the Military by Allison Yarrow, the article ends with this terrific quote from Maddow:
“There are many ways to envision female success. Ultimately, you don’t do anybody any favors by putting people in jobs they can’t do well in. The best way to win is to be better than everybody else,” Rachel Maddow said.
Put people in jobs that they can do well.
Be better than everybody else.
It can’t be put much more simply… what great insight!
Here’s another good article about the book – Bullet Points: Rachel Maddow proposes solutions to decades of American military bloat, by Emily Bazelon, from Slate.com.
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our May Charity Sponsor
Running4CleanWater – May 9, 2015
The goal of R4CW is to provide children, youth and adults with clean and safe drinking water for the rural regions of Sierra Leone, Africa. Proceeds from this event will go toward building a well. Click here for more information & to register.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasMay 1st, 20154 days to go.
- Really kind of leaves you speechless - Rubik's Cube world record - Business Insider businessinsider.com/rubicks-cube-w… 5 hours ago
- “Freedom Is Never Voluntarily Given By The Oppressor” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., for the 4th of July: wp.me/pmm68-6xz 5 hours ago
- Really, Fully Show Up – Your Communication Tip of the Day (insight from Neil Diamond and Cory Booker): wp.me/pmm68-7v3 5 hours ago
- I won't be at the SMU Men's Basketball games next season. A new book influenced my decision. Read my post here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/rea… 3 weeks ago
- Here's a blog post about a new book that contrasts with LEAN IN - see what you think about society without men: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/not… 4 weeks ago
- We sure are insecure as Americans about our future. Read my blog post about a best-seller by clicking here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/all… 1 month ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 1 month ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 1 month ago
- Simple Rules: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/simple-rules-a… 8 hours ago
- Greg McKeown on “The Pursuit of Less” bobmorris.biz/greg-mckeown-o… 8 hours ago
- Measure an Employee’s Qualitative Performance bobmorris.biz/measure-an-emp… 8 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 920,293 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- It’s Selection Time for the Next First Friday Book Synopsis (June 5) – Seldom an Easy Choice
- Provide Actionable Feedback without Micromanaging – The Balance Challenge for Good Managers (Insight from Laszlo Bock’s Work Rules!)
- Dan E. King: Part 2 of an interview by Bob Morris
- Creativity, Inc. by Ed Catmull – Key Thoughts, and My Five Lessons and Takeaways
- Isaacson’s Short List of Three: Edison, Ford, & Jobs – Ed Catmull Helps us Understand Why Steve Jobs Deserves to Be on that List
- Dorie Clark on How to Stand Out: An interview by Bob Morris