Creativity is a Verb, and feels like Hard Work – insight from Jonah Lehrer, Imagine
What we think, what we wish, is that creative ideas just fall from the sky in blinding moments of inspiration. That does happen, but… But, just as Twyla Tharp says in The Creative Habit, and Jonah Lehrer confirms in his thorough study of creativity, creative breakthroughs are the result of specific practices (“habits”), serious attention to work places, and work styles, and many, many interactions and connections, and work discipline…
Yes, breakthroughs may come suddenly, but they come at the end of some very hard and serious work. And then, when the breakthrough arrives, there is much more hard work to do to turn the idea into something real. Here’ s a key quote from the Lehrer book:
I think people need to be reminded that creativity is a verb, a very time-consuming verb. It’s about taking an idea in your head, and transforming that idea into something real. And that’s always going to be a long and difficult process. If you’re doing it right, it’s going to feel like work.”
Our future depends on our creative work leading to those creative breakthroughs. So, we all need to get to work…
If you are in the DFW area, come join us this Friday, May 4, at the First Friday Book Synopsis. I will present my synopsis of Imagine: How Creativity Works, and Karl Krayer will present his synopsis of Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success by Rory Vaden. 7:00 am at the Park City Club. Click here to register.
No comments yet.
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our April, 2015 Sponsor
Tom Meyer, Dallas-based Certified Gazelles coach, invites you to an April 29 Scaling-Up Business Workshop at Bent Tree Country Club, designed to help leaders of companies and organizations make four key decisions about People, Strategy, Cash Flow, and Execution. Click here for more information about this workshop designed to help your business “scale up!”
And, Tom will offer a quick-look workshop on a few of the principles found in Scaling Up, the book by Verne Harnish, with special emphasis on the Personal One-Page Plan (a valuable take-away for all participants). Tom’s bonus session will be from 8:30-9:30, immediately following our regular session. The $15 cost for the bonus program includes a copy of the book.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasApril 3rd, 20155 days to go.
- Business Book Summaries - create your own binge learning day with synopses of great books on innovation... 15minbb.com 48 minutes ago
- John Wooden still the greatest - Conditioning + Fundamentals + Unity - Coach John Wooden's Formula for Success: wp.me/pmm68-6dB 2 hours ago
- "“relentless incrementalism.”3" amzn.com/k/2JOIrNCBR66F… 3 hours ago
- Here's a blog post about a new book that contrasts with LEAN IN - see what you think about society without men: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/not… 18 hours ago
- We sure are insecure as Americans about our future. Read my blog post about a best-seller by clicking here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/all… 1 day ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 1 day ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 3 days ago
- Get ready for the next Jack Welch epistle. It releases on April 15. My blog post about that is here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/ano… 4 days ago
- Middle management in gazelle organizations bobmorris.biz/middle-managem… 9 hours ago
- Kara Penn: An interview by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/kara-penn-an-i… 9 hours ago
- Chip and Dan Heath on “Four principles for making better decisions” bobmorris.biz/chip-and-dan-h… 1 day ago
Recent visitor count
- 901,658 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- Mike Paton: An interview by Bob Morris
- Not What Sandberg Had In Mind – This One May Need to “Lean Out”
- All the Way to the Top for “Get What’s Yours” – Our Profound Insecurity!
- What Kind Of Society Shall We Have? – When A National Leadership Conference Teaches Racist Chants, We Get Exactly What One Would Expect
- Book Titles That Deliberately Inhibit Sales – It’s a Bad Idea!
- David Allen’s Next Actions; Csikszentmihalyi’s Clear Goals – Do You Know What to Do Next?