Creativity is a Verb, and feels like Hard Work – insight from Jonah Lehrer, Imagine
What we think, what we wish, is that creative ideas just fall from the sky in blinding moments of inspiration. That does happen, but… But, just as Twyla Tharp says in The Creative Habit, and Jonah Lehrer confirms in his thorough study of creativity, creative breakthroughs are the result of specific practices (“habits”), serious attention to work places, and work styles, and many, many interactions and connections, and work discipline…
Yes, breakthroughs may come suddenly, but they come at the end of some very hard and serious work. And then, when the breakthrough arrives, there is much more hard work to do to turn the idea into something real. Here’ s a key quote from the Lehrer book:
I think people need to be reminded that creativity is a verb, a very time-consuming verb. It’s about taking an idea in your head, and transforming that idea into something real. And that’s always going to be a long and difficult process. If you’re doing it right, it’s going to feel like work.”
Our future depends on our creative work leading to those creative breakthroughs. So, we all need to get to work…
If you are in the DFW area, come join us this Friday, May 4, at the First Friday Book Synopsis. I will present my synopsis of Imagine: How Creativity Works, and Karl Krayer will present his synopsis of Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success by Rory Vaden. 7:00 am at the Park City Club. Click here to register.
No comments yet.
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our May Charity Sponsor
Running4CleanWater – May 9, 2015
The goal of R4CW is to provide children, youth and adults with clean and safe drinking water for the rural regions of Sierra Leone, Africa. Proceeds from this event will go toward building a well.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasMay 1st, 201513 days to go.
- RT @margarita: I just became George Lucas' #1 fan. He's decided to build affordable housing because he can. washingtonpost.com/news/morning-m… 2 hours ago
- RT @BeschlossDC: Yes, Copley’s portrait of Paul Revere does look like Jack Black: http://t.co/UF0QXcP5Uw 12 hours ago
- Tony Hsieh at Zappos Announces "No More Gradualism" - (with appreciation to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.): wp.me/pmm68-9HH 1 day ago
- I won't be at the SMU Men's Basketball games next season. A new book influenced my decision. Read my post here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/rea… 2 weeks ago
- Here's a blog post about a new book that contrasts with LEAN IN - see what you think about society without men: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/not… 2 weeks ago
- We sure are insecure as Americans about our future. Read my blog post about a best-seller by clicking here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/all… 2 weeks ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 3 weeks ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 3 weeks ago
- Widgets: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/widgets-a-book… 3 hours ago
- Your Brain on Learning bobmorris.biz/your-brain-on-… 3 hours ago
- Women in Leadership: An interview of Nancy Mattenberger, Infor New York bobmorris.biz/women-in-leade… 1 day ago
Recent visitor count
- 915,372 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- Tony Hsieh at Zappos Announces “No More Gradualism” – (with appreciation to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)
- Here are my Five Lessons & Takeaways from Civic Sermons by Gerald Britt
- Bernhard Schroeder: Part 2 of an interview by Bob Morris
- Civic Sermons: Ideas for a Different Civic Culture by Gerald Britt – Thoughts on Engagement
- Focus; Eliminate Distractions – A Lesson from Masters Champion Jordan Spieth (& C.S. Lewis, among others)
- Dan E. King: Part 1 of an interview by Bob Morris