Why questions are the new answers
While reading Peter Sims’s new book, Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries, I came upon this paragraph:
“One of the best ways to identify creative insights and develop ideas is to throw out a theory and experience things first-hand. After all, fresh problems, ideas, needs and desires aren’t obvious; they’re hidden beneath the surface. We can’t even know what questions to ask until we reach beyond what is already known through a true process of discovery: carefully exploring, observing, and listening to uncover what is hidden from the naked eye from the bottom up. In doing so, we must go deep, we must go wide, and we must be focused.”
In the book, Sims discusses several creative thinkers who include Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, PIXAR’s Ed Catmull and John Lasseter, the architect Frank Gehry, and the comedian Chris Rock. All of them demonstrate
• An insatiable curiosity
• A compulsion to identify and then ask the right questions
• What Roger Martin characterizes as “integrative thinking”
• “Immersion in unfamiliar terrain”
• Constant experimentation
• Delight in “play”
• A compulsion to define with exquisite precision
• Flexibility when there is a need for reorientation
• Resilience during a major and unexpected crisis
Please click here to check out Little Bets, published by Free Press (2011).
Friday, April 8, 2011 - Posted by Bob Morris | Bob's blog entries | Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, “Immersion in unfamiliar terrain”, “integrative thinking”, compulsion to define with exquisite precision, compulsion to identify and then ask the right questions, constant experimentation, delight in “play”, flexibility when there is a need for reorientation, insatiable curiosity, joyful improvisational interaction with others, Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries, MIT professor Eric von Hippel, Peter Sims, PIXAR’s Ed Catmull and John Lasseter, resilience during a major and unexpected crisis, Roger Martin, the architect Frank Gehry, the comedian Chris Rock, throw out a theory and experience things first-hand, Why questions are the new answers
No comments yet.
Did you see us in the Dallas Morning News Business Section?
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasAugust 7th, 20159 days to go.
- No, we don't need regulation. We can trust companies to discover their own wrong behaviors, and police themselves... businessinsider.com/whole-foods-ce… 6 hours ago
- RT @TIME: Why you should write in your books ti.me/1fB4HvZ 6 hours ago
- RT @TheKingCenter: We remember #EmmettTill today, on what would have been his 74th birthday. Still necessary >>> #BlackLivesMatter. http://… 7 hours ago
- "Where to Start to Reduce Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse" on @LinkedIn linkedin.com/pulse/where-st… 2 days ago
- I am in Houston for the first Wardens' Retreat for 2015. Attendance is a bit down, but spirit and participation are both quite high. 2 months ago
- Today's Dallas Morning News has a feature article about the First Friday Book Synopsis. Link; dallasnews.com/business/colum… http://t.co/AbfBiILX5T 2 months ago
- Again - it is absurd that Colby Lewis did not get to go 9 innings tonight with an 11-1 Texas lead and fewer than 90 pitches in 8 innings! 2 months ago
- The Rangers' Rodriguez should have gone out for the 9th for a complete game. The lead was 7-1, and his pitch count was not high. Absurd. 2 months ago
- One dentist’s infamous extraction bobmorris.biz/one-dentists-i… 17 hours ago
- Peggy Noonan advises, Don’t Mourn Atticus Finch” bobmorris.biz/peggy-noonan-a… 21 hours ago
- How Does Trump End? bobmorris.biz/how-does-trump… 21 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 992,365 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- Innovation Superstars: Shock Therapy for the Status Quo – (announcing our new seminar)
- Your Company Needs Some Business-Book Book Clubs – Download Our White Paper
- The Equalizer (Denzel Washington) Reading Through the “Top 100 Books You Should Read Before You Die”
- Managing Yourself is Only Half the Battle – Supervising Yourself is Just as Important
- Where to Start to Reduce Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse Against Women
- Complacency; Loss of Focus – Lessons from Elon Musk and a SpaceX Catastrophe, and a Prison Escape in New York State