Live Your Mission, Don’t State It
Here is another valuable Management Tip of the Day from Harvard Business Review. To sign up for a free subscription to any/all HBR newsletters, please click here.
* * *
The problem with most mission statements is that they are full of jargon and platitudes that apply to any organization, not just the one they were written for.
Don’t wring your hands over the wording: focus on action instead.
A mission statement is an abstraction. An organization on a mission is inspiring.
Think about what it is you want your company to do — create the best personal computer, change the way people think about coffee, end hunger, etc. — and make that your charge. Mission statements can galvanize and align employees or explain to others what you do, but only if there is a true sense of purpose behind them.
Today’s Management Tip was adapted from “Do You Have a Mission Statement, or Are You on a Mission?” by Dan Pallotta.
To read the full post and join the discussion, please click here.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - Posted by Bob Morris | Bob's blog entries | "Do You Have a Mission Statement, Dan Pallotta, Harvard Business Review, HBR newsletters, Live Your Mission [comma] Don't State It, Management Tip of the Day, or Are You on a Mission?"
No comments yet.
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our April, 2015 Sponsor
Tom Meyer, Dallas-based Certified Gazelles coach, invites you to an April 29 Scaling-Up Business Workshop at Bent Tree Country Club, designed to help leaders of companies and organizations make four key decisions about People, Strategy, Cash Flow, and Execution. Click here for more information about this workshop designed to help your business “scale up!”
And, Tom will offer a quick-look workshop on a few of the principles found in Scaling Up, the book by Verne Harnish, with special emphasis on the Personal One-Page Plan (a valuable take-away for all participants). Tom’s bonus session will be from 8:30-9:30, immediately following our regular session. The $15 cost for the bonus program includes a copy of the book.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasApril 3rd, 20156 days to go.
- SAE’s Chant was Taught, you know… - wp.me/pmm68-9Ff http://t.co/L4oKPBVhjm 2 hours ago
- What Kind Of Society?-When A National Leadership Conference Teaches Racist Chants, We Get Exactly What We Expect: wp.me/pmm68-9Ff 2 hours ago
- "Online, we’ve got a compassion deficit, an empathy crisis. We need to return to a long-held value of compassion.” nytimes.com/times-insider/… 8 hours ago
- We sure are insecure as Americans about our future. Read my blog post about a best-seller by clicking here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/28/all… 1 hour ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 19 hours ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 2 days ago
- Get ready for the next Jack Welch epistle. It releases on April 15. My blog post about that is here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/ano… 3 days ago
- I don't want another SMU - UConn game on Sunday. Too dangerous with momentum and a partisan crowd. Go Tulsa! 1 week ago
- Chip and Dan Heath on “Four principles for making better decisions” bobmorris.biz/chip-and-dan-h… 7 hours ago
- Gretchen Rubin suggests, “To Form Successful Habits, Know What Motivates You” bobmorris.biz/gretchen-rubin… 7 hours ago
- Blogging on Business bobmorris.biz 19 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 901,420 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- All the Way to the Top for “Get What’s Yours” – Our Profound Insecurity!
- What Kind Of Society Shall We Have? – When A National Leadership Conference Teaches Racist Chants, We Get Exactly What One Would Expect
- Book Titles That Deliberately Inhibit Sales – It’s a Bad Idea!
- David Allen’s Next Actions; Csikszentmihalyi’s Clear Goals – Do You Know What to Do Next?
- Can’t Wait for McCullough’s Next Book About The Wright Brothers
- Annual Physicals, Vital Signs… for Your “Personal” Life, and for Your Organization