McKinsey conversations with global leaders: Paul Polman of Unilever
Here is another outstanding interview in the McKinsey Conversations with Global Leaders series. To watch the conversation in a video interactive, or download a PDF of the transcript, please click here.
* * *
Unilever’s chief executive reflects on lessons learned at three major consumer goods companies, including how to manage people in a global context, the obligations corporations have to society, and why you should never waste a good crisis.
Source: Operations Practice
When Paul Polman took on the role of CEO of Unilever in January 2009, during the eye of the financial storm, he brought with him years of experience from holding high positions at both P&G and Nestlé. Polman’s move to Unilever now gives him the rare vantage point of one who’s served as an executive at three of the world’s largest fast-moving consumer goods companies.
In this video, the latest in our interview series McKinsey conversations with global leaders, Polman reflects on the opportunities and challenges of being a new CEO in volatile times, the importance he places on corporate social responsibility and values-based management, and the future he sees ahead for the consumer goods industry. Adam Bird, a director in McKinsey’s Munich office, conducted this interview in London in September 2009.
Watch the conversation in the McKinsey video interactive, or read the transcript below, by clicking here.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - Posted by Bob Morris | Bob's blog entries | Adam Bird, McKinsey Conversations with Global Leaders series, McKinsey conversations with global leaders: Paul Polman of Unilever, Nestle, P&G, the future for the consumer goods industry, the importance he places on corporate social responsibility and values-based management, the opportunities and challenges of being a new CEO in volatile times
No comments yet.
Did you see us in the Dallas Morning News Business Section?
Purchase our book synopses from 15minutebusinessbooks.com.
We present two books a month, every month, and make the audio recordings and handouts of our synopses available at our companion site, 15minutebusinessbooks.com
Meet our 2015 Sponsor
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasAugust 7th, 20157 days to go.
- When You're Stuck, You Need An IDEA - Insight from Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit: wp.me/pmm68-a2u 27 minutes ago
- “Don’t Try This at Home” – George Clooney, Jock Mahoney (Yancy Derringer), and a Lesson in Preparation: wp.me/pmm68-5yz 1 hour ago
- Here Are A Number of My Blog Posts Dealing with Speaking/Presentation & Communication Issues – (frequently updated) ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/her… 1 hour ago
- "Where to Start to Reduce Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse" on @LinkedIn linkedin.com/pulse/where-st… 4 days ago
- I am in Houston for the first Wardens' Retreat for 2015. Attendance is a bit down, but spirit and participation are both quite high. 2 months ago
- Today's Dallas Morning News has a feature article about the First Friday Book Synopsis. Link; dallasnews.com/business/colum… http://t.co/AbfBiILX5T 2 months ago
- Again - it is absurd that Colby Lewis did not get to go 9 innings tonight with an 11-1 Texas lead and fewer than 90 pitches in 8 innings! 2 months ago
- The Rangers' Rodriguez should have gone out for the 9th for a complete game. The lead was 7-1, and his pitch count was not high. Absurd. 2 months ago
- New Rules of the Game: 10 Strategies for Women in the Workplace bobmorris.biz/new-rules-of-t… 4 hours ago
- Recruiting From a Global Talent Pool bobmorris.biz/recruiting-fro… 4 hours ago
- David Politis (chief executive of BetterCloud) in “The Corner Office” bobmorris.biz/david-politis-… 4 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 992,967 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- When You’re Stuck, You Need An IDEA – Insight from Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit
- “There is no Permanent Fix” – A Tough Reality to Face, and Lesson to Learn, from General Stanley McChrystal (from Team of Teams)
- Innovation Superstars: Shock Therapy for the Status Quo – (announcing our new seminar)
- Your Company Needs Some Business-Book Book Clubs – Download Our White Paper
- The Equalizer (Denzel Washington) Reading Through the “Top 100 Books You Should Read Before You Die”
- Managing Yourself is Only Half the Battle – Supervising Yourself is Just as Important