The Need for Continuous Learning (Peter Drucker, 1994)
It never ends. There is always the next new thing to learn. And not just the next new thing, but, in reality, the new world — the whole new landscape, the changing approach, to work itself. “The old has gone, the new” keeps coming…
Peter Drucker, who coined the phrase the “knowledge worker” in his 1959 book Landmarks of Tomorrow, wrote this in his 1994 essay: The Age of Social Transformation:
The great majority of the new jobs require qualifications the industrial worker does not possess and is poorly equipped to acquire. They require a good deal of formal education and the ability to acquire and to apply theoretical and analytical knowledge. They require a different approach to work and a different mind-set. Above all, they require a habit of continuous learning. Displaced industrial workers thus cannot simply move into knowledge work or services the way displaced farmers and domestic workers (the dominant jobs at the turn of the last century – R.M) moved into industrial work. At the very least they have to change their basic attitudes, values, and beliefs.
3 Comments »
Acuity – Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training, are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue throughout 2015. Just click here to visit their website – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2015.
Acuity Upcoming Events — Serious Training for the Serious Sales Professional
(Both events will be held in Dallas, at the Acuity Headquarters)
• Mission: Sales Boot Camp
$2,500 per person
• Sales Management Boot Camp
$1,295 per person
(Click here for information about this terrific opportunity)
And, meet our April, 2015 Sponsor
Tom Meyer, Dallas-based Certified Gazelles coach, invites you to an April 29 Scaling-Up Business Workshop at Bent Tree Country Club, designed to help leaders of companies and organizations make four key decisions about People, Strategy, Cash Flow, and Execution. Click here for more information about this workshop designed to help your business “scale up!”
And, Tom will offer a quick-look workshop on a few of the principles found in Scaling Up, the book by Verne Harnish, with special emphasis on the Personal One-Page Plan (a valuable take-away for all participants). Tom’s bonus session will be from 8:30-9:30, immediately following our regular session. The $15 cost for the bonus program includes a copy of the book.
Reading the handout, listening to the recording – it was “…like Power-Reading a Business Book”
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasApril 3rd, 20156 days to go.
- "Online, we’ve got a compassion deficit, an empathy crisis. We need to return to a long-held value of compassion.” nytimes.com/times-insider/… 5 hours ago
- Farhad Manjoo analyzes, brilliantly - Ellen Pao Disrupts How Silicon Valley Does Business nyti.ms/1IFDrWv 6 hours ago
- David Allen's Next Actions; Csikszentmihalyi's Clear Goals - Do You Know What to Do Next?: wp.me/pmm68-9EU 1 day ago
- People DO judge a book by its cover - or its title. Read my blog post to see what I think about that: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/boo… 16 hours ago
- David McCullough has a new book on The Wright Brothers scheduled for a May 15 release. Read my blog post: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/can… 1 day ago
- Get ready for the next Jack Welch epistle. It releases on April 15. My blog post about that is here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/ano… 3 days ago
- I don't want another SMU - UConn game on Sunday. Too dangerous with momentum and a partisan crowd. Go Tulsa! 1 week ago
- Yet another book about the Yalta Conference came out tbis week. It's by Susan Butler published by Knopf. 1 week ago
- Chip and Dan Heath on “Four principles for making better decisions” bobmorris.biz/chip-and-dan-h… 4 hours ago
- Gretchen Rubin suggests, “To Form Successful Habits, Know What Motivates You” bobmorris.biz/gretchen-rubin… 4 hours ago
- Blogging on Business bobmorris.biz 16 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 901,390 visits
Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com
- What Kind Of Society Shall We Have? – When A National Leadership Conference Teaches Racist Chants, We Get Exactly What One Would Expect
- Book Titles That Deliberately Inhibit Sales – It’s a Bad Idea!
- David Allen’s Next Actions; Csikszentmihalyi’s Clear Goals – Do You Know What to Do Next?
- Can’t Wait for McCullough’s Next Book About The Wright Brothers
- Annual Physicals, Vital Signs… for Your “Personal” Life, and for Your Organization
- A Brief Blog Milestone Update