A recent study conducted by Pew Research published on Friday, February 24 in the Washington Post, and distributed nationally by the Associated Press, indicated that Social Media users are “managing their privacy settings and their online reputation more often than they did two years earlier.” You can read the entire article by clicking here.
Nearly half of respondents said that they deleted comments from their profile, where two years ago, only 36 percent indicated the same thing.
Here are some other findings, published here directly from the article, that may interest you. The paragraph labels in red are my own.
Women. Women are much more likely than men to restrict their profiles. Pew found that 67 percent of women set their profiles so that only their “friends” can see it. Only 48 percent of men did the same.
Education. Think all that time in school taught you something? People with the highest levels of education reported having the most difficulty figuring out their privacy settings. That said, only 2 percent of social media users described privacy controls as “very difficult to manage.”
Privacy. The report found no significant differences in people’s basic privacy controls by age. In other words, younger people were just as likely to use privacy controls as older people. Sixty-two percent of teens and 58 percent of adults restricted access to their profiles to friends only.
Young Adults. Young adults were more likely than older people to delete unwanted comments. Fifty-six percent of social media users aged 18 to 29 said they have deleted comments that others have made on their profile, compared with 40 percent of those aged 30 to 49 and 34 percent of people aged 50 to 64.
Men. Men are more likely to post something they later regret. Fifteen percent of male respondents said they posted something regrettable, compared with 8 percent of female respondents.
Regrets. Possibly proving that with age comes wisdom, young adults were more likely to post something regrettable than their older counterparts. Fifteen percent of social network users aged 18 to 29 said they have posted something regrettable. Only 5 percent of people over 50 said the same thing.
Here is how the study was done. Pew Research conducted a phone survey of 2,277 adults in April and May 2011. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points. The data about teens came from a separate phone survey Pew conducted with teenagers and their parents.
Are you surprised by this? Is your own use in line with these findings? What would you have said if you were surveyed with the same questions?
Let’s talk about it really soon!
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasAugust 1st, 20144 days to go.
- Brinkley’s Omission is Sad
- We/You Should Probably Be Subtracting Something, and Adding Something, Right Now – and Often
- Forbes’ Book on Money Takes Aim – But Will Anyone Listen?
- Newest Sandford Prey Book is Different and Not His Best
- From Pope Francis, and W. H. Auden, on a Weekend of Grief
- It’s “Back to Zero” Faster than Ever Before in this Era of Disruption
- Brinkley's Omission is Sad: wp.me/pmm68-94V via @randy1116 11 hours ago
- Forbes' Book on Money Takes Aim - But Will Anyone Listen?: wp.me/pmm68-94M via @randy1116 21 hours ago
- Newest Sandford Prey Book is Different and Not His Best: wp.me/pmm68-94G via @randy1116 1 day ago
- Apologia as Bonus Program for Hospital Charity on August 1: wp.me/pmm68-94i via @randy1116 3 days ago
- Please Like Us on our Facebook Fan Page: wp.me/pmm68-94a via @randy1116 3 days ago
- What’s Missing in the Great Disruption Debate bobmorris.biz/whats-missing-… 23 hours ago
- Blogging on Business bobmorris.biz 23 hours ago
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/the-gamificati… 23 hours ago
- RT @KA_Willey: Editorial: NFL’s light penalty for domestic violence is an outrage share.d-news.co/givYfmd 7 hours ago
- the #Zillow-Trulia merger will result in a true winner-take-all advantage. ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/its… 11 hours ago
- It's "Back to Zero" Faster than Ever Before in this Era of Disruption: wp.me/pmm68-94z 11 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 823,576 visits
- Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com