Live Your Mission, Don’t State It
Here is another valuable Management Tip of the Day from Harvard Business Review. To sign up for a free subscription to any/all HBR newsletters, please click here.
* * *
The problem with most mission statements is that they are full of jargon and platitudes that apply to any organization, not just the one they were written for.
Don’t wring your hands over the wording: focus on action instead.
A mission statement is an abstraction. An organization on a mission is inspiring.
Think about what it is you want your company to do — create the best personal computer, change the way people think about coffee, end hunger, etc. — and make that your charge. Mission statements can galvanize and align employees or explain to others what you do, but only if there is a true sense of purpose behind them.
Today’s Management Tip was adapted from “Do You Have a Mission Statement, or Are You on a Mission?” by Dan Pallotta.
To read the full post and join the discussion, please click here.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - Posted by Bob Morris | Bob's blog entries | "Do You Have a Mission Statement, Dan Pallotta, Harvard Business Review, HBR newsletters, Live Your Mission [comma] Don't State It, Management Tip of the Day, or Are You on a Mission?"
No comments yet.
Please join us for our three offerings on CHANGE
PUBLIC WORKSHOP – FALL, 2014
Richardson Civic Center – Heights Room
411 W. Arapaho Road – Richardson, Texas
Register early – Seating limited to only 20 persons per session
Wednesday, November 12 – 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
MANAGING CHANGE Facilitator: Randy Mayeux
Wednesday, November 12 – 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION FROM
CREATIVE AND INNOVATIVE EXPERTS Facilitator: Randy Mayeux
Thursday, November 13 – 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
LEADING CHANGE Facilitator: Karl J. Krayer, Ph.D.
Acuity: Redefining Sales Cultures
Tom Niesen and his team, through Acuity Systems and Sandler Training are ready to help you improve your sales process and increase revenue for 2014. Visit their website at salesmadeeasy.com – and then, let Acuity help you improve your sales effectiveness in 2014.
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasNovember 7th, 201415 days to go.
- Dominant Companies of Yesteryear, No Longer With Us – a Hidden Warning in Walter Cronkite’s 1967 Home Office of the Future
- If creativity, change, and innovation were easy… – Do You Need a Jump-Start? We might be able to help
- Extreme Clearness – Simple and Clear Communication Advice from The Earl of Chesterfield (from Shannon Camberlain)
- Write Your Speech Out Word-for-Word – The Case for Manuscript Speaking
- We All Start at the Beginning – The Question is, “How Far Along are You?”
- Rod Pyle: Part 1 of an interview by Bob Morris
- Our CHANGE workshop is just around the corner. Please click here for details about our November 12 session: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/lea… 3 days ago
- We have a great workshop for you to learn how to cope with or manage change. Click here. ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/lea… 4 days ago
- Be sure to register soon for our November 12 workshop on Managing Change. Click here: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/10/18/lea… 5 days ago
- We can't wait for our CHANGE workshops on November 12 and 13. Early-bird registration is still available - Click:. ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/we-… 5 days ago
- I just published a new blog post about Bob Woodward's 2005 book, The Secret Man. Click here to read it: ffbsccn.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/woo… 2 weeks ago
- Being Mortal: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/being-mortal-a… 37 minutes ago
- “Our best today; better tomorrow.” bobmorris.biz/our-best-today… 40 minutes ago
- “The challenge for leaders is how to keep injecting urgency.” Ratan Tata bobmorris.biz/the-challenge-… 45 minutes ago
- RT @ValaAfshar: When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't. —Thomas Edison 19 minutes ago
- Seven Questions that Every Business Must Answer – (from Peter Thiel, Zero to One): wp.me/pmm68-9h1 37 minutes ago
- We Have Change Covered for You - Our Three Public Workshops: November 12-13: wp.me/pmm68-9g9 39 minutes ago
Recent visitor count
- 849,204 visits
- Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com