Live Your Mission, Don’t State It
Here is another valuable Management Tip of the Day from Harvard Business Review. To sign up for a free subscription to any/all HBR newsletters, please click here.
* * *
The problem with most mission statements is that they are full of jargon and platitudes that apply to any organization, not just the one they were written for.
Don’t wring your hands over the wording: focus on action instead.
A mission statement is an abstraction. An organization on a mission is inspiring.
Think about what it is you want your company to do — create the best personal computer, change the way people think about coffee, end hunger, etc. — and make that your charge. Mission statements can galvanize and align employees or explain to others what you do, but only if there is a true sense of purpose behind them.
Today’s Management Tip was adapted from “Do You Have a Mission Statement, or Are You on a Mission?” by Dan Pallotta.
To read the full post and join the discussion, please click here.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - Posted by Bob Morris | Bob's blog entries | "Do You Have a Mission Statement, Dan Pallotta, Harvard Business Review, HBR newsletters, Live Your Mission [comma] Don't State It, Management Tip of the Day, or Are You on a Mission?"
No comments yet.
- First Friday Book Synopsis in DallasAugust 1st, 20144 days to go.
- We/You Should Probably Be Subtracting Something, and Adding Something, Right Now – and Often
- Forbes’ Book on Money Takes Aim – But Will Anyone Listen?
- Newest Sandford Prey Book is Different and Not His Best
- From Pope Francis, and W. H. Auden, on a Weekend of Grief
- It’s “Back to Zero” Faster than Ever Before in this Era of Disruption
- Ethics and Trust: An Interview with Robert Hoyk
- Forbes' Book on Money Takes Aim - But Will Anyone Listen?: wp.me/pmm68-94M via @randy1116 7 hours ago
- Newest Sandford Prey Book is Different and Not His Best: wp.me/pmm68-94G via @randy1116 20 hours ago
- Apologia as Bonus Program for Hospital Charity on August 1: wp.me/pmm68-94i via @randy1116 2 days ago
- Please Like Us on our Facebook Fan Page: wp.me/pmm68-94a via @randy1116 2 days ago
- Be Sure You Know How Your People Learn about Ethics: wp.me/pmm68-93S via @randy1116 5 days ago
- What’s Missing in the Great Disruption Debate bobmorris.biz/whats-missing-… 9 hours ago
- Blogging on Business bobmorris.biz 9 hours ago
- The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: A book review by Bob Morris bobmorris.biz/the-gamificati… 9 hours ago
- RIP - Margot Adler 1 hour ago
- "The Fox News fan does not buy the New York Times." amzn.com/k/es56F0a5R4-4… 3 hours ago
- "To put it mildly, the world is a mess." - Madeline Albright huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/28/mad… 3 hours ago
Recent visitor count
- 823,430 visits
- Site created and maintained by Dallas website design company bigDwebsitedesign.com